(SwStr: a. 1 32-pdr., 1 8" col.)
Tuscarora was purchased from the Southern Steamship Co. of New Orleans, La., in 1861 and converted into a ship-of-war. On 12 October, while under Comdr. B. Kennon, CSN, she participated in a spirited engagement between the Confederate fleet commanded by Flag Officer G. N. Hollins, CSN, and vessels of the Union blockading squadron at Head of the Passes, Mississippi River. She accidentally burned near Helena, Ark., on 23 November 1861.