Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Tacony

 

(Bark: t. 296; dr. 12'; a. 1 12-pdr. how.)

 

Tacony, also called Florida No. 2, was built in 1856 at Newcastle, Del. While traveling in ballast from Port Royal, S.C., to Philadelphia, Pa., she was captured on 12 June 1863 by the brig Clarence, under Lt. C. W. Read, CSN, which in turn had been captured and then detached by CSS Florida. Lieutenant Read, finding Tacony a far better vessel than his own, transferred his force to her and burned Clarence. Now called Florida No. 2 by her captors, Tacony sailed northward along the New England coast to harass Union shipping.

 

Between 12 June and 24 June Tacony captured 15 vessels. Her last prize captured on 24 June was the small fishing schooner Archer. By now subject to a frantic and intensive search by the U.S. Navy, Lieutenant Read transferred his force to Archer, hoping to avoid his pursuers. He burned Tacony on the same day 25 June 1863.

 

Confederate raider Tacony at work