(Tug: t. 250; cpl. 40)
Star, an unarmed high-pressure steam tug, was chartered by the Confederate Army from the Southern Steamship Co., New Orleans, La., in May 1861. Early in April 1862 she was placed with several other steamers under Captain Stevenson, CSA, to handle the fire rafts with which the Confederates illuminated the channel below forts Jackson and St. Philip against passage of Farragut's fleet assembled there. During the ensuing battle at the forts on 24 April Star was employed as a telegraph station attached to the command of Comdr. J. K. Mitchell, CSN. The steamer was destroyed by a Federal gunboat during the action.
Farragut's testimony in 1872 credited Star with one gun and 40 men; the gun is questionable but all sources agree she was commanded by a Captain LaPlace.