(SwStr: t. 60; l. 89'9"; b. 15'; dph. 5'; dr. 4'; s. 3-4 k.; a. 1 24-pdr., 1 12-pdr.)
St. Mary, a small cotton-clad river steamer, was built at Plaquemine, La., early in 1862, and presented to the Confederate Government. Under the command of Lt. F. E. Shepperd, CSN, she operated in the Yazoo and Tallahatchie Rivers in 1863. She was captured at Yazoo City, Miss., on 13 July by a joint Army-Navy expedition consisting of four Federal ships and 5,000 troops. She was taken into the United States Navy under the name of Alexandria and commissioned in December at Cairo, Ill.