(Slp: t. 974; l. 147'6"; b. 38'1"; dph. 16'4"; a. 22 guns)
CSS Plymouth, originally the sailing sloop-of-war Plymouth, was built at the Boston Navy Yard in 1843 and sailed for the Mediterranean on 3 April 1844, returning to the United States in October 1846. Between that date and December 1858, she made several cruises in foreign waters. In 1859 and 1860 she was in use as practice ship for midshipmen at Annapolis and in April 1861 was at the Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard where she was scuttled and partially burned at the evacuation of the yard.
Plymouth was raised by the Confederates who planned to sail her up the James River to Richmond; however, when the Navy Yard was recaptured by the Union on 10 May 1862 she had not been moved and the Confederates scuttled her to avoid capture.