(ScTug: t. 49; cpl. 40)
Mosher, Confederate States Army-chartered but Navy-controlled, had been built at Philadelphia in 1857.
Mosher, a small unarmed screw tug owned by the Southern Steamship Co., operated with the Confederate Navy under Comdr. J. K. Mitchell during the bombardment of Forts Jackson and St. Philip. On 24 April 1862 the tug, commanded by Capt. H. Sherman, was towing a fire boat against a heavy sloop-of-war, probably USS Hartford, when she received a broadside shot and sank instantly.