(IrcRam: l. 183'; b. 53'8"; dph. 10'3"; dr. 8'6"; a. 1 32-pdr., 1 11" Dahlgren, 1 9" Dahlgren)
CSS Missouri, a centerwheel steam sloop was launched at Shreveport, La., on 14 April 1863. Her commanding officer was Lt. J. H. Carter, CSN. Missouri never saw action but engaged in transport and mining details between Alexandria and Shreveport, La., above the Red River obstructions. At the end of hostilities Missouri came down to Shreveport and surrendered to U.S. naval forces on 3 June 1865. She was taken into the U.S. Navy and sold at Mound City, Ill., on 29 November 1865.
Missouri's casemate or citadel was 130'6" by 53'8" at base, but only 105' by 29' at the top, creating a slope of 30°. Railroad T-iron, 4½" thick, was laid diagonally (to avoid cutting) over this structure, with rail crowns facing alternately inward and outward in order to interlock when spiked to the 23" yellow pine backing. The pilot-house in the forepart of the casemate projected 19" above its deck, which was not armored at all, although the exposed 50-odd feet of the ship's main deck was plated like the citadel's sides. No time having been available to build a wheel-box, the big paddlewheel, 22'6" in diameter, projected for 8'4" above any protection out of a recess at the after end of the casemate. Three balanced rudders were located under the fantail; her steering wheel on the gun deck beneath the pilothouse.