(StwStr: t. 152)
Lucy Gwin, also called Lucy Gwynn, Lucy Gwinn, and Gwinn, was built in Freedom, Pa., in 1859. Her home port was Galveston, Tex., and in 1861 she passed into the Texas Marine Department under Confederate army control. [See Annex III].
Lucy Gwin served as a transport and cargo ship along the Texas coast. She was surrendered at Matagorda to Union forces in late spring of 1865 but was carried off and anchored at Bagdad, on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande where demands for her return were made of the controlling French authorities.