Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Le Grand

 

(SwStr: t. 235)

 

Le Grand or La Grand, built at New Albany, Ind., in 1856 and first enrolled at Mobile, served the Confederacy, probably as an Army transport or store ship in the Western rivers; little is known of her but the fact that in September 1864 she was carrying some heavy chain for the Army Engineer Department somewhere in the Mobile-Tensas River area.