(SwStr: t. 809; l. 275'; b. 38'; dph. 8')
John Walsh was built at Cincinnati, Ohio in 1858. She served the Confederates as a transport in the Mississippi River area, and was part of the force under Comdr. Isaac N. Brown, CSN, commanding the Confederate vessels in the Yazoo River. In July 1863, John Walsh was burned to the water's edge by Commander Brown, and sunk in the Yazoo River, 15 miles below Greenwood, Miss., to block the channel and delay the advance of Union forces under Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, towards Vicksburg, Miss., and to escape the hands of the Union naval force under Acting Rear Adm. D. D. Porter, USN.