J. A. Cotton
(IrcSwStr: t. 549; a. 1 32-pdr. sb., 1 9-pdr. r.)
J. A. Cotton, also known as Cotton, was built at Jeffersonville, Ind., in 1861 for use on the bayous of Louisiana. She was purchased by the Confederate Army in 1862, clad at least partially with iron, and placed under the command of Capt. E. W. Fuller, CSA.
She operated in Berwick Bay and Bayou Teche where from 1 to 6 November 1862, she fought a series of actions against Union gunboats Calhoun, Colonel Kinsman, Diana, and Estrella. Casualties and damage were light on both sides. On 15 January 1863, off Brashear City, La., J. A. Cotton after a 2-day engagement with her adversaries of the previous November, was burned to prevent capture.
(SwStr: t. 372; l. 185'; b. 34'6"; dph. 8'9"; dr. 4'10"; a. 2 24-pdr., 2 12-pdr., 1 how.)
J. A. Cotton, also known as Mary T., Cotton, and Cotton Jr., was built at Jeffersonville, Ind., in 1860, as Mary T. for the New Orleans, Coast, and La Fourche Transportation Co. She was seized by the Confederate Army in the Red River early in 1863.
Renamed J. A. Cotton she was fitted out as a gunboat and protected with cotton bales. On 4 May 1863 at Fort De Russy, La., in company with CSA Ship Grand Duke, she fought a sharp but inconclusive action with the Federal gunboat Albatross, during which J. A. Cotton suffered minor damage. She served in various capacities until the end of the war when she was surrendered to Union forces at Alexandria, La.