(SwTtug: t. 78; a. 2 32-pdr. r.)
CSS Harmony, a small steam tug built at Philadelphia, Pa., in 1859, was placed under exclusive control of A. B. Fairfax, Confederate Inspector General of Naval Ordnance at Norfolk Navy Yard on 24 April 1861 and was used primarily for ordnance transport throughout the war; Flag Officer Forrest, CSN, wrote in September 1861, "Her services are indispensable as an ordnance transportation boat."
On 30 August 1861 Commander Fairfax took command, armed her with a rifled gun and attacked sloop-of-war Savannah, riding at anchor off Newport News. Harmony inflicted considerable damage on Savannah who was unable to train her guns effectively upon her attacker.