H. R. W. Hill
(SwStr: t. 602)
H. R. W. Hill, also known as Hill, was built in 1852 at New Albany, Ind., and employed by the Confederates as a transport in the Mississippi River area. Under Captain Newell she participated in the Battle of Belmont, Mo., on 7 November 1861. As part of the force under Maj. Gen. L. Polk, CSA, she stood fearlessly at her post while under heavy Union fire ready to transport troops back and forth across the river in the course of the battle. H. R. W. Hill fell into Union hands at the Battle of Memphis on 6 June 1862.