(Sip: t. 939; l. 150'; b. 36'9"; dr. 17'; s. 12 k.; a. unarmed)
CSS Germantown, formerly the United States 22-gun sloop-of-war of that name, was built at Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1846. In 1861 she lay at Gosport (Norfolk) Navy Yard ready for sea but had to be scuttled and burned by the Federal Navy, evacuating Gosport, 20-21 April.
The Confederates raised her in June of that year but she lay at anchor off Craney Island until May 1862 when she was filled with sand and sunk in the Elizabeth River for the protection of Norfolk.
She was raised again by Federal forces in April 1863.