(Sch: t. 596; l. 144'; b. 30'; dph. 15')
Gallego was built in 1855 at Newburyport, Mass., and was operating out of New Orleans when acquired by the Confederates. She was employed primarily as a cargo and store ship on the James River, Va.
In a sinking condition and badly in need of repairs Gallego was run aground by the Confederates below the obstructions at Drewry's Bluff on the James River late in 1864. With the use of steam pumps the waterlogged schooner was successfully floated on 18 January 1865 and the next day was returned to an officer of the Confederate Engineering Corps stationed at Drewry's Bluff.