(IrcRam: l. 188' [170']; b. 40'3"; [34']; dr. 9'6"; cpl. 150; a. 11" sb., 1 8" r., 2 6.4" r.; type Enlarged Albemarle)
CSS Fredericksburg was built at Richmond, Va., 1862-63. On 30 November 1863 she was reported completed and awaiting armament. In March 1864 she was taken down to Drewry's Bluff to be fitted out, and placed in command of Comdr. T. R. Rootes, CSN.
Fredericksburg, one of the ships of the squadron commanded by Commodore J. K. Mitchell, CSN, was actively engaged in the James River from mid-1864 until the end of the war. She participated in an action with Union ships in Trent's Reach on 21 June 1864 but little damage was inflicted on either side due to. the distance between them. Similar inconclusive encounters took place in August, October, December, and the following January. With the evacuation of Richmond on 3 April 1865 the Confederates blew up Fredericksburg and other ships in the vicinity the following day. [cf. Chickahominy]