Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Elmira

 

(StwStr: t. 139; l. 125'; b. 27'; dr. 4'6")

 

Elmira, built at Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1858, was acquired by the Confederates in 1861 for use as a transport. On 13 July 1863 she was seized by Forest Rose and Petrel in the Tensas River and sent into Cairo as a prize.