(ScStr: t. 70)
Egypt Mills, probably built at Poplar Neck, Md., in 1856 and first enrolled at Philadelphia, was seized by Confederate authorities and operated as a river transport. After Confederate withdrawal from the Roanoke River, she was captured there with Cotton Plant (q.v.), 22 May 1865, by Shamrock, Comdr. W. H. Macomb, USN, who maintained that the two steamers, whether "purchased or seized from their owners…were certainly rebel Government property." Egypt Mills had on board a quantity of Confederate Government cotton salvaged from the Halifax, N.C., Navy Yard during evacuation. Both were "claimed as private property by citizens of Halifax and elsewhere"—without success; Macomb sent both to Norfolk in June 1865. Egypt Mills' documentation shows she was forfeited "for breach of laws" but redocumented as Alida (consistently though unaccountably shown as a sidewheeler) 14 December next and returned to commercial operation. She ended her active service in 1869.