(SwStr: t. 281; l. 171'; b. 28'9"; dph 6'; a. 1 20-pdr.)
Dr. Beatty, spelled variously as Doctor Beaty, Doctor Batey, and Dr. Battie, was built at Louisville, Ky., in 1850. She was described as a frail steamer by the Confederates who had outfitted her with 900 bales of cotton for use as a transport and boarding ship.
Dr. Beatty was a unit of the expeditionary force that included the rams Queen of the West and Webb, and the steamer Grand Era which attacked USS Indianola near New Carthage, Miss., on 24 February 1863. During the engagement this steamer, commanded by Lt. Col. F. Brand, CSA, and carrying a volunteer boarding party of 250 men closed Indianola only to receive word of her sinking condition and surrender.
During July 1863 Dr. Beatty escaped capture by USS Manitou and Petrel by running under the guns of the fort at Harrisonburg in the Ouachita River.