Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Dodge

 

(Sch: t. 153 [71.5]; l. 100'4"; b. 23'; dph. 8'8"; cpl. 26; a. 1 9-pdr.)

 

Dodge was originally USRC Henry Dodge serving under the command of Capt. W. F. Rogers of the U.S. Revenue Marine.

 

She was seized by the State of Texas on 2 March 1861 and subsequently turned over to the Confederate Navy. Remaining in Roger's command, she assisted the Confederate Army in defending the Texas coast until December 1862 when she was officially transferred to the control of the Confederate Army's Quartermaster at Houston.

 

In 1864 Dodge passed into private hands and under the name Mary Sorley operated as a blockade runner. She was captured by USS Sciota off Galveston, Tex., on 4 April 1864 en route to Havana with a cargo of cotton.