Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Dixie

 

(Sch: t. 110; cpl. 35; a. 3 guns)

 

Dixie was originally the Baltimore-built schooner H. & J. Neild, completed in 1856. Capt. Thomas J. Moore of Virginia bought her in 1860 and operated in the West Indian trade until war broke. Then he rechristened her Dixie, ran the blockade into Charleston, formed a syndicate and petitioned for a letter of marque. Dixie was commissioned a privateer 26 June 1861, Captain Moore still commanding.

 

Her month's cruise netted two valuable prizes out of three taken: Bark Glen, the 23rd, was run into Morehead City, N.C., and condemned; schooner Mary Alice fully laden with sugar surrendered the 25th, but was recaptured by USF Wabash before making a Confederate port; Rowena of Philadelphia had a complement that would endanger his small prize crew, so Captain Moore took command of her himself and brought with him all but a skeleton crew of 5 to man Dixie. After some narrow escapes, Dixie and prize together slipped back into Charleston through Bull's Bay and up under the guns of Fort Pinckney, 27 August. Dixie was sold as well as Rowena very satisfactorily; on 15 October the little privateer schooner ended her successful chapter as a privateer, went to A. J. White & Son, locally, later becoming Kate Hale and Success.