(SwStr: t. 260; l. 150'; dr. 4'6"; s. 12 k.; a. 2 guns)
CSS Curlew, built at Wilmington, Del., in 1856, was a tug purchased at Norfolk, Va., in 1861 by the Confederate Government. She was ordered to duty under command of Comdr. T. T. Hunter, CSN, in North Carolina waters and participated in the battle of Roanoke Island on 7 February 1862. She was sunk in shoal water by the Confederates the following day to prevent capture by United States forces.
(SwStr: t. 645; l. 225'; b. 24'; dph. 11'; dr. 6'; cl. Curlew)
Curlew was ordered by the Confederate Navy in England. As Jones, Quiggin & Co.'s Hull No. 177, she was laid down at Liverpool in 1864, and launched with her three sisters the same day in 1865, but is believed to have been delivered too late to serve the Confederacy.