(SwStr: t. 223)
Charm was built in 1860 at Cincinnati, Ohio and served the Confederates as an ammunition and gun carrier and troop transport in the Mississippi River area. Under Capt. W. L. Trask, Charm participated with high distinction in the Battle of Belmont, Mo., on 7 November 1861, as part of the Confederate force under Maj. Gen. L. Polk, CSA. Under heavy Union fire, Charm stood firmly at her post, carrying troops and ammunition back and forth across the Mississippi River in the course of the battle. Although grounded in the furor of battle she was pulled free and saved by the Confederate transport Prince.
She sank, lashed to Paul Jones, sometime in 1863. Traces of the two hulks, burned to the waterline, are visible now and again at low water a century later.