(Bark: t. 252)
Castor was a Maltese sailing vessel of fir with coppered bottom, built on the island in 1851 and bought in Liverpool by Confederate agents about 1863. Commanded by a Captain G. Attard, she acted as tender and storeship to CSS Georgia. The best known incident during that duty, which of necessity she performed with as little ostentation as possible, was at remote Fernando de Noronha Island, belonging to Brazil: On 16 May 1863 as she commenced coaling Georgia, she was forced by the Brazilian authorities, under diplomatic pressure from the United States, to cease operations. Georgia got away and USS Mohican stood guard thereafter over Castor and her companion, Agrippina (q.v.) until they were induced to sell their coal and ammunition locally in return for permission to depart in peace. Castor began discharging 22 June, following Agrippina's example.