(SwStr: t. 509; cpl. 85; a. 1 18-pdr., 2 12-pdr., 2 6-pdr.)
CSS Calhoun, built at New York in 1851 as Cuba, was commissioned by the Confederate Government as a privateer on 15 May 1861; Capt. John Wilson and his 150 men, during the next 5 months, captured and sent in six prizes. She was then chartered by the Confederate States Navy and placed under the command of Lt. J. H. Carter, CSN. Calhoun served as flagship for Commodore G. N. Hollins, CSN, during a successful engagement between his fleet and five Union ships at the Head of the Passes into the Mississippi River, 12 October 1861. Calhoun was captured off South West Pass, La., on 23 January 1862 by schooner Samuel Rotan, a tender to frigate Colorado. Subsequently, she served as USS Calhoun.