(ScBrig: t. ; l. 226'; b. 29'; dph. 20'; dr. 16'-19'—see note)
Bermuda was at one time in her career as a Confederate blockade runner indicated as tender to CSS Florida, then known as Oreto, and was expected to deliver her battery to her in Palermo, since she was officially bound there, in March and April 1862. She seems to have been the ship that made the delivery to Florida in the Bahamas, under command of Capt. Eugene L. Tessier and Capt. C. W. Westendorf.
Bermuda, with 5 watertight bulkheads and first "owned" by cotton man Edward Haigh, was built, 1861, in 7 months as near-sister to Bahama in the same yard (the particulars given in parentheses above are based on that assumption) but is also mentioned as sister to Czar, which has not been verified. That Bermuda and Bahama were true public vessels operated by the Confederate Government all or part of the war is not certain though plausible. Fraser, Trenholm & Co., Confederate agency in Great Britain, officially bought them.
Note: If she was tender to Florida, this ship was clearly a different Bermuda from the one captured by USS Mercedita, 27 April 1862, and sent to Philadelphia for adjudication. One Bermuda became General Meade later.