William H. Young
(SwStr: t. 179)
William H. Young or Young or William G. Young was built at Brownsville, Pa., in 1860 and served the Confederate Army as river transport and storeship in the West Florida-Georgia-Mobile area most of the war. In 1862 she was one of eight steamers that used to tow blockade-running schooners down to the passes to the sea.
Young came into prominence momentarily as the mercy ship from Ocheesee, Fla., that evacuated casualties after Chattahoochee's boiler explosion, 27 May 1863; she stopped en route at Chattahoochee to inter the dead, carrying the survivors on to Columbus, Ga. In November 1864 she was floating headquarters for Capt. Joseph L. Dunham, CSA, his company of 140 men and four-gun battery, constantly patrolling the 50 miles between Chattahoochee and Iola, Fla. The U.S. Army, occupying the area early in June 1865, promptly seized Young to transport stores to Maj. Gen. J. H. Wilson, USA.