Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Wave

 

(SwStr: t. 229)

 

Wave, originally Argosy No. 2, was built in 1863 at Monongahela, Pa., acquired by the Navy on 14 November 1863, and converted to a gunboat for service in western waters. The Confederates captured Wave and USS Granite City on 6 May 1864 at Calcasieu Pass, Tex. Thereafter she was in Confederate employ as a transport.