(SwStr: t. 378; l. 150'; b. 23'; dr. 8'2"; s. 7 k.; a. 1 32-pdr, r., 1 12-pdr. r., 2 12-pdr. how.)
Water Witch was built at the Washington Navy Yard in 1852 and served in the United States Navy in home and foreign waters until 1860 when she was forced home by yellow fever and laid up at the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Recommissioned there on 10 April 1860, she sailed for southern waters. On 3 June 1864 she was captured in Ossabaw Sound, Ga., in a daring boat boarding attack led by Lt. Thomas P. Pelot, who gave his life in the action.
She was taken into the Confederate States Navy, retained her original name, and was placed under the command of Lt. W. W. Games, CSN. It was planned to take her to Savannah, Ga., for a special assignment but she remained at White Bluff, Ga., until 19 December 1864, when she was burned to prevent capture.