(ScTug: t. 85 (80); l. 85'; b. 17'5"; dph. 6'11"; a. 1 gun)
CSS Beaufort, built at Wilmington, Del., in 1854, as Caledonia, was put in commission at Norfolk, Va., on 9 July 1861, by Lt. R. C. Duvall, North Carolina Navy, and sailed immediately "for New Bern, N.C. While en route she engaged the large steamer Albatross, in an inconclusive battle off Oregon Inlet.
After North Carolina seceded, Beaufort was turned over to the Confederate States Navy and on 9 September Lt. W. H. Parker, CSN, was placed in command. Thereafter she participated in the battles of Roanoke Island on 7-8 February 1862, and Elizabeth City, N.C., 2 days later. Escaping via the Dismal Swamp Canal to Norfolk, she was tender to CSS Virginia (ex-Merrimack) off Hampton Roads, Va., on 8-9 March 1862. The Confederate Congress tendered thanks to the officers and crew for their gallantry during the action.
From May 1862, Beaufort operated on the James River, her commander in November 1863 being Lt. W. Sharp, CSN. She served until the evacuation of Richmond 3 April 1865 when she was taken into the United States Navy. She was sold 15 September 1865.