(SwStr: t. 558; l. 176'2"; b. 29'5"; dr. 9'; cpl. 35; a. 1 32-pdr.)
Anglo-Norman, built at Algiers, La., in 1850 and employed as a towboat by the Southern Steamship Company, New Orleans, La., was impressed for public service by order of the Confederate Secretary of War. The order was implemented by Brig. Gen. M. Lovell on 15 January 1862 when 14 ships were seized for the Mississippi River Defense Fleet for possible conversion to gunboats and rams.
At the time of the action at Ports Jackson and St. Philip, April 1862, Anglo-Norman was not mentioned as one of the River Defense Fleet, however, the gunboat Anglo-Norman is one of the 22 listed in the prize cases before arbitrators on 1 May 1862.