(SwStr: t. 493; l. 222'; b. 36'; dph. 6'; a. 8", 10", and 6" rifles)
Alonzo Child, which is also frequently cited as A. Childs or Childs, was built in 1857 at Jeffersonville, Ind., and fell under Confederate control in the Mississippi River area. Near Yazoo City, Miss., in May 1863 her engines and machinery were taken out and sent to Mobile, Ala., for Tennessee (No. 2). The Confederates used Alonzo Child's hulk to obstruct the channel at Hayne's Bluff on the Yazoo River. She was found there in the same month by units of a Federal naval force under Acting Rear Adm. D. D. Porter, USN, and taken into Union service.