Aid, a schooner of Mobile, Ala., was captured by a boat expedition from USS Niagara off Mobile on 5 June 1861. She was sunk by Union forces to obstruct the pass at the east end of Santa Rosa Island in August 1861.
(Str: a. 1 42-pdr.)
Aid, bought by private individuals in 1861 for the express purpose of driving off the Union blockading ships in defense of Charleston, often carried the British Consul out of Charleston Harbor to visit British ships over the bar. In addition to her crew of six or eight, she was reported to carry out Charleston pilots who would gather information vital to ships interested in running the blockade of that port. In November 1862 it was reported that her engines like those of Lady Davis had been removed to power the ironclad rams Palmetto State and Chicora.