A. W. Baker
(SwStr: t. 112; l. 95'; b. 25'; dph. 4'6")
A. W. Baker was built in 1856 at Louisville, Ky., and served the Confederates as a cargo ship carrying salt and bacon from the Red River to Port Hudson, La., to supply the Confederate Army in that area. With a number of Confederate officers on board, A. W. Baker was approached 15 miles below the mouth of the Red River on 2 February 1863 by the Federal ram Queen of the West under Col. C. R. Ellet, USA. A. W. Baker ran ashore allowing some of the officers to escape but was herself captured by the Union ram and burned by her captors.