Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Clarence L. Evans

 

Born 27 April 1923 at Saginaw, Mich., Clarence Lee Evans enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve 31 May 1941, and after training at San Diego, served in the field from 20 January 1942 until 25 November 1942, when he was killed in action on Guadalcanal. He was awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism in capturing two enemy machine gun nests 2 days before his death.

 

(DE-113: dp. 1,240; l. 306'; b. 36'8"; dr. 8'9"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 3 21" tt., 8 dcp., 1 dcp.(hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Buckley)

 

Clarence L. Evans was launched 22 March 1944 by Dravo Corp., Wilmington, Del.; sponsored by Mrs. E. E. Evans; commissioned 25 June 1944, Lieutenant Commander W. C. Hughes, USNR, in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

 

Clarence L, Evans reported at Norfolk 2 September 1944 for duty in training precommissioning crews of other escort vessels. Here she conducted tests of newly developed 3" ammunition and acoustic torpedo defense equipment. On 19 October she cleared Norfolk for the first of five convoy crossings from New York City to Glasgow, Southhampton, Plymouth, and- Le Havre. These trips, which averaged about 30 days for each voyage, were alternated with training duties at New London or Casco Bay.

 

On 29 May 1945, Clarence L. Evans put in to Brooklyn for overhaul until 22 June. She then reported to Quonset Point Naval Air Station for duty as plane guard during carrier qualification exercises. She cleared Narragansett Bay 17 August for Miami, assumed plane guard duty until 2 October, then cleared for Brooklyn and overhaul. Clarence L. Evans reported to Green Cove Springs, Florida, 10 November, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 29 May 1947. She was lent to France tinder the Military Assistance Program 29 March 1952; she bears the name Berbere in the French Navy.