Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Cimarron

 

A river in Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma, and towns in Colorado, Kansas, and New Mexico.

 

I

 

(SwGbt: t. 860; l. 205'; b. 35'; dr. 9'.; s. 10 k.; a. 1 100-pdr. r., 1 9" sb., 6 24-pdr. sb. how.)

 

The first Cimarron (officially changed from the original spelling Cimerone) a sidewheel double-ended steam gunboat, was launched 16 March 1862 by D. S. Merschon, Bordentown, N.J.; outfitted at Philadelphia Navy Yard; and commissioned 5 July 1862, Commander Maxwell Woodhull in command.

 

Sailing from Philadelphia Navy Yard 11 July 1862, Cimarron arrived at Fortress Monroe, Va., 8 July. Between 11 July and 4 September 1862 she sailed in the James River in active support of Army operations. During this time she engaged Confederate troops at Harrison's Landing (28 July) and exchanged fire with Fort Powhatan (31 July) and Swan Point Battery (4 August).

 

Cimarron cleared Fortress Monroe, Va., 7 September 1862 to join the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Port Royal, S.C., 13 September. She was constantly employed in the coastal and inland waters of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, participating in the engagement with Confederate batteries up the St. John's River, Fla. (17 September 1862), and returning early in October to support army operations there.

 

After repairs at Philadelphia from January to April 1863, Cimarron continued blockade duty until 3 August 1865. During this time she captured three prizes, and fired on Confederate troops ashore on two occasions (23 June and 8 July 1863). She also joined in the attacks on Fort Wagner in Charleston Harbor, S.C. (17, 20 and 21 August 1863). During January and February 1864 Cimarron operated in the Stono River, S.C.

 

Cimarron arrived at Philadelphia Navy Yard 8 August 1865; was decommissioned there 17 August 1865; and sold 6 November 1865.