Former name retained.
(PY: t. 248; l. 164'; b. 22'; dr. 9'8"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 55; a. 2 3")
Christabel (No. 162), an iron yacht, was built in 1893 by D. and W. Henderson, Glasgow, Scotland; purchased by the Navy 30 April 1917 from Irving T. Bush; commissioned at New York Navy Yard 31 May 1917, Lieutenant H. B. Riebe in command; and assigned to U.S. Patrol Squadrons Operating in European Waters.
Clearing New York 9 June 1917 Christabel put in at Brest, France, 4 July. Throughout the war she had escort and patrol duty off the coast of France. She returned to the United States in December 1918 and served with the reserve antisubmarine squadrons in training operations at New London, Conn., until 19 May 1919 when she was placed out of commission at the Marine Basin, Brooklyn, N.Y. She was sold 30 June 1919.