Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Choptank

 

An Indian tribe from the Choptank River area in Maryland.

 

(YT-36: dp. 290; l. 108'; b. 24'6"; dr. 9'; s. 14 k.; cpl. 38; a. 1 3")

 

Choptank (No. 1161), the civilian tug Francis B. Hackett, was purchased by the Navy in December 1917, and placed in commission under her original name on 1 April 1918, Lieutenant (junior grade) Thomas F. Webb, USNRF, in command. She was reclassified YT-36 on 17 July 1920; renamed Shenandoah (YT-36) 20 November 1920 and Choptank on 15 October 1923.

 

She was assigned to Squadron One, Submarine Chasers, Atlantic Fleet, performing towing duties and transporting personnel in the New York area until May 1918 when she proceeded to Norfolk and began guard duty. In December she was assigned to Train, Atlantic Fleet and following decommissioning was placed in service on 13 April 1919 as a district craft in the 5th Naval District.

 

On 28 October 1920 she was ordered to the Washington Navy Yard where she performed general yard service until 1944. In 1944-45 she operated under Inspector of Ordnance in Charge, NTS, Alexandria, Va.

 

On 13 April 1944 she was reclassified YTM-36. Chop-tank was placed out of service on 28 June 1946 and stricken from the Navy List on 30 December 1946.