Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chiron

 

A centaur of Greek mythology, known for his skill in medicine.

 

(AGP-18: dp. 2,179; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 13'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40 mm.; cl. Portunus)

 

LST-1133 was reclassified AGP-18 and named Chiron on 14 August 1944; launched 10 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; sponsored by Mrs. T. S. Tillman; placed in partial commission 23 March 1945; decommissioned 17 April 1945 for conversion at Maryland Drydock Co., Baltimore, Md.; and commissioned in full 18 September 1945, Lieutenant Commander P. L. Mangold, USNR, in command.

 

Chiron sailed from Norfolk 1 November 1945 for Miami, arriving 4 November to service Motor Torpedo Squadron 42 until 8 December. On 14 December she sailed for New York where she was decommissioned 20 February 1946, and sold 19 May 1947.