Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chipper

 

Former name retained.

 

Chipper (No. 1049), a motorboat free leased to the Navy, was placed in service on 24 July 1917 and assigned to the 4th Naval District where she performed patrol duty at Philadelphia and ferry duty at the Naval Academy. In March 1918 Chipper was transferred to the 5th Naval District where she remained until being returned to her owners on 24 March 1919.