Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chinampa

 

Merchant name retained.

 

(AO: dp. 13,675(n.); l. 442'; b. 54'8"; dr. 26'2"; s. 10 K.; cpl. 96; a. 1 5", 1 3")

 

Chinampa (No. 1952) was built in 1903 by Palmer Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, as Gushing. She was acquired from the Shipping Board 23 September 1918, and commissioned 3 October 1918, Lieutenant Commander E. W. Miller, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, she made two transatlantic voyages for the Navy between 16 October 1918 and 11 February 1919, and an additional voyage for the Army from 23 February to 28 March 1919, carrying gasoline and fuel oil to various ports in France, England, and Belgium.

 

Chinampa was decommissioned 27 May 1919 and delivered to the Shipping Board for return to her owner.