Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chimo

 

(Monitor: t. 614; l. 225'; b. 37'; dr. 6'6"; dph. 9'1"; cpl. 65; a. 1 11" sb.)

 

II

 

(ACM-1: dp. 880; l. 188'2"; b. 37'; dr. 12'6"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 69; a. 1 40mm.; cl. Chimo)

 

The second Chimo (ACM-1) was built as Colonel Charles W. Bundy for the Army by Marietta Manufacturing Co., Point Pleasant, W. Va.; converted at Norfolk Navy Yard; acquired by the Navy 7 April 1944; commissioned the same day, Lieutenant J. W. Gross, USNR, in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

 

Chimo sailed from Norfolk 13 May 1944 for Plymouth, England and the Normandy beaches. She lay at anchor off Utah Beach from 7 to 19 June as flagship of Commander Minesweepers West, providing tender services to British and United States minesweeping forces as they kept lanes open for the movement of supplies vital to the invasion buildup. Between 20 June 1944 and 5 March 1945, Chimo operated from Plymouth along the coast of France at Cherbourg, Baie de St. Brieuc, and Brest. She cleared Plymouth 5 March for overhaul in the States and on 11 June, departed Norfolk arriving at San Diego 3 July for voyage repairs and training. In mid-September 1945, Chimo began duty off Eniwetok, Saipan, and Okinawa until 1 February 1946, when she put into Sasebo. Chimo cleared Sasebo 10 March for Saipan, Eniwetok, Pearl Harbor, and San Francisco, arriving 16 April. Chimo was decommissioned 21 May 1946, transferred to the War Shipping Administration and sold 28 September 1948.

 

Chimo received two battle stars for World War II service.