A mythological character, symbolic of the destructive forces of nature.
(ARL-33: dp. 2,125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 253; a. 1 3"; cl. Achelous)
Chimaera was launched 30 March 1945 by Chicago Bridge and Iron Co., Seneca, 111.; sponsored by Mrs. D. L. Mahoney; placed in partial commission 11 April 1945; decommissioned 7 May 1945 for conversion at Baltimore, Md.; and commissioned in full 7 August 1945, Lieutenant F. E. Clerk, Jr., USNR, in command.
Sailing from Norfolk 18 September 1945 Chimaera arrived at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 21 September to serve as flagship for Commander, St. John's River Reserve Group, Atlantic Fleet until 1 March 1946. On 29 April, she cleared for San Pedro, Calif., arriving 21 May. Local operations were conducted until 17 September when she got underway for the western Pacific. She called at Pearl Harbor and arrived at Tsingtao, China, 23 October to provide services to the 7th Fleet. On 14October 1947 she departed Tsingtao for San Pedro. Chimaera was placed out of commission in reserve 8 March 1948.