A private name retained.
(PY: l. 125'; b. 16'6"; dr. 7')
Chilhowee (No. 525) was built as a private yacht by Neilson Yacht Building Co., Baltimore, Md.; purchased by the Navy 12 July 1917; commissioned 10 June 1917; and assigned to the 5th Naval District.
Based at Norfolk, Va., she was assigned duty with the captain of the port and inspected anchorages in Hampton Roads. Chilhowee was placed out of commission 10 September 1919 and turned over to the Coast Guard the same day.