A county in Arkansas.
(AK-170: dp. 2,382; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)
Chicot (AK-170) was launched 16 July 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. F. Marasco; acquired by the Navy 13 March 1945; and commissioned 4 April 1945, Lieutenant Commander L. F. Marshall, USNR, in command.
Chicot sailed from Gulfport, Miss., 10 May 1945 for Honolulu, where she discharged cargo then voyaged to San Francisco, returning to Pearl Harbor with another load of cargo 24 July. She put out of Pearl Harbor 30 July with cargo for Eniwetok, and until 10 March 1946, remained in the western Pacific, carrying cargo between Eniwetok, Ulithi, Tacloban, Saipan, Okinawa, Guam, Manus, Samar, and Subic Bay. She departed Guam 10 March for the west coast, and on 18 July 1946 was decommissioned at Seattle, and returned to the Maritime Commission the next day.
Chicot was reacquired 14 May 1947, and after repair, recommissioned 23 June 1947. She departed Seattle 18 July for Pearl Harbor. From 19 November, when she sailed from Guam and Pearl Harbor, Chicot carried cargo between the islands of the western Pacific, calling at Saipan, Truk, Ponape, Manus, and Kusaie. After local operations at Hawaii, she made a voyage to Guam and Saipan early in 1949, and returned to San Francisco 15 March.
Chicot cleared San Pedro 27 April 1949 for cargo duty in the islands of the western Pacific, to Pearl Harbor and to Japan. Guam was her base until 24 July 1951, when she was decommissioned there and transferred to the Department of the Interior.