Counties in Georgia and North Carolina; many cities and towns in the United States.
(AK-169: dp. 2,474; l. 338'6"; b. 50'; dr. 21'1"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 79; a 1 3"; cl. Alamosa)
The third Chatham (AK-169) was launched 13 May 1944 by Froemming Brothers, Inc., Milwaukee, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. G. C. Salisbury; acquired by the Navy 20 January 1945; and commissioned at Galveston 22 February 1945, Lieutenant Commander N. C. Harrison, Jr., USNR, in command.
Chatham arrived at Pearl Harbor 6 May 1945 to carry cargo to Eniwetok, Saipan, and Guam, before returning to San Francisco 18 July for a brief overhaul. She cleared San Francisco 13 August, and until 30 January 1946, when she returned to San Francisco once more, carried cargo from Okinawa to Guam, Manus, Saipan, Eniwetok, and the Philippines, aiding in the redeployment of American strength in the Pacific which followed the war. From the west coast, she sailed to Baltimore, where she was decommissioned 2 April 1946 and returned to the Maritime Commission 4 April 1946.