Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chase S. Osborne

 

Former name retained.

 

(AT: dp. 492; l. 128'5"; b. 25'2"; dr. 12'6"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 40; a. 1 3")

 

Chase S. Osborne, a tug, was built in 1906 by Johnston Bros., Ferrysburg, Mich.; purchased by the Navy 16 February 1918; commissioned at New York 16 April 1918; and assigned to the 5th Naval District.

 

Chase S. Osborne was assigned to general towing duties and repairing of targets with the service force, then known as Train, Atlantic Fleet, between May 1918 and July 1919. The remainder of her service was in the 5th Naval District and at the Naval Academy. Decommissioned at Norfolk 16 September 1920, Chase S. Osborne was sold 5 August 1921.