Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Charlton Hall

 

Merchant name retained.

 

(AK: dp. 11,300; l. 412'6"; b. 50'; dr. 25'5"; a. 11 k.; cpl. 62; a. 15", 13")

 

Charlton Hall (No. 1359) was built in 1907 by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland; transferred from the Shipping Board 10 June 1918; and commissioned 14 June 1918, Lieutenant Commander J. L. Evans, USNRF, in command.

 

Serving with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service in support first of the American Expeditionary Force and later of the Army of Occupation, Charlton Hall made three voyages from New York to ports in France carrying general cargo between 17 June 1918 and 23 December 1918. She was decommissioned at Newport News, Va., 29 January 1919, and returned to the Shipping Board at New York 3 February 1919.