Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Charlotte

 

Cities in North Carolina and Michigan; a feminine proper name.

 

III

 

(PF-60: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 19 k.; cpl. 180; cl. Tacoma)

 

The third Charlotte (PF-60) was launched 30 October 1943 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. R. Billings; placed in service 19 July 1944; commissioned 9 October 1944, Commander R. D. Dean, USCG, in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.

 

Charlotte cleared Boston 8 January 1945 to take up what was to be her primary mission through her naval service, sailing to Argentia, Newfoundland, where she took up weather station duty. Flashing news of weather conditions from her post at sea, she helped make it possible for specialists to prepare weather predictions. This information not only affected flight operations and ship movements in the western Atlantic, where she patrolled, but, since weather in general moves to the eastward, aided in predicting European conditions.

 

Between 21 and 26 March 1945, Charlotte aided Surprise (PG-63) and Tenacity (PG-71), rendezvousing at sea with the ice-damaged gunboats and towing them to Argentia. Later, she towed Tenacity to Boston, but by 5 April was back on her weather station. Similar duty in the North Atlantic, during which she kept alert for the possibility of rescuing downed aviators, continued until 17 January 1946, when she sailed from Boston for a weather station off Bermuda.

 

Charlotte arrived at Norfolk, Va., 15 March 1946, and was decommissioned there 16 April 1946. She was sold 13 May 1947.