Merchant name retained.
(Ship: t. 363; l. 110'; b. 27'4"; dr. 18'; cpl. 23; a. 1 32-pdr. sb.)
Charles Phelps was built in 1848 at New London, Conn., as a whaler; purchased at New Bedford, Mass., 24 June 1861; and commissioned later in the year, Acting Master W. F. North in command.
Assigned as a coal supply ship for the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, Charles Phelps served in. Hampton Roads, Va., throughout the Civil War. Her support of the Squadron's steamers was as critical a contribution to their mission of cutting the Confederacy off from overseas supply as a modern-day oiler's logistic support is to the operations of the fleet. She was sold at New York 25 October 1865.